Saturday, June 14, 2014

New England is for preppies

First let me share that in the 80's, when I was a teen, dressing preppy was so cool and the "in" thing, but I never seemed to fit into that category.  I tried to carry off the look, but I never felt quite right.  I felt prudish and stuffy and could not understand why girls were wearing pearls with their polo shirts.  I think that is when my own fashion style kicked in.  I was a bit preppy, a bit punk, and a little bit of pretty, pretty princess. To this day, I love to blend styles or wear a fun yet classy outfit, but you will never see me in a pair of khaki chino's, loafers, button down shirt, and a single string of pearls tight around my neck. Blech!  I am jealous of those who look great dressed that way.  

So just a little background on the New England preppy fashion.  It started around 1912 and become very popular in the 1960's then again in the 80's.  Today, we are seeing a resurgence of the class preppy looks that originated from the collegiate lifestyle of New England Ivy League schools such as Princeton, Harvard, and Yale. Other styles are reminiscent of our New England upper-class leisure activities which include equestrian, yachting, sailing, rowing, tennis golf and rugby (like you will see in the cute spoof video below).

The epitome of a New England Preppy... President John F. Kennedy 

Photo via 

This has got to be one of my old time favorite videos.  A fun spoof about New England Preppies.  I feel like I am in high school all over again,  



This photo, I found on Town and Country, is not too far off from what I saw in the day (the 80's is you must know :-) ).  Kids would come to school with three popped collars.  
Vineyard Vines Photo Via Town & Country


New England Fine Living's Web site http://www.newenglandfineliving.com and this blog was created by Linda Calder, The Fine Living Muse, as a Girl's Guide to Decorating in Style, Entertaining in Style, and Living in Style.

No comments:

Post a Comment