Thursday, June 17, 2010

There was no liquor in the chocolate liquor!



New England Fine Living.com


One of the reasons I started New England Fine Living was to share my experiences with you, especially when I learn something wonderful and new.  I am going out of my comfort zone, sometimes getting embarrassed so that you can learn through my faux pas.   Here is the latest example of one of those "situations".  Oh and trust me, they happen almost daily. 

Yesterday I took a press tour of the Lindt Chocolate Factory for the grand opening of their chocolate liquor facility.  You see the word liquor right???   (I will post that information soon).

Silly me…. I actually thought there was going to be liquor in the chocolate and bragged to my friends that I was going to try a delicious spirit infused chocolate after I read the press release.  Nope!  Liquor is just the name of the chocolate once it is turned into a pure liquid form.  Duhhhhh!  And I was so glad to hear others say the same thing during some chatting with others. 

This is the definition from Wikipedia:  Chocolate liquor (cocoa liquor) is pure chocolate in its liquid form.  Like the cocoa beans (nibs) from which it is produced, it contains both cocoa solids and cocoa butter in roughly equal proportion.

It is produced from cocoa beans that have been fermented, dried, roasted, and separated from their shells.  The beans are ground into cocoa mass (cocoa paste).  The mass is melted to the liquor, and the liquor is cooled and molded into blocks (Lindt makes theirs shaped like hearts) known as unsweetened baking chocolate (bitter chocolate).  I got to see this process and it was amazing.

Chocolate liquor contains roughly 53 percent cocoa butter (fat), about 17 percent carbohydrates, 11 percent protein, 6 percent tannins, and 1.5 percent theobromine

I wish I knew who took the photo or for what event it was used  for, but can you imagine wearing that in a fashion show!  How cool! 

No comments:

Post a Comment